Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Quiet Rooms











It's the eye of the storm, so to speak, in our quiet rooms. A houseful of young people just left the premises after a short visit for the long weekend right after we returned home from our recent travel. In a quick turnaround we are due to leave again for a family funeral to celebrate the long and colorful life of a favorite Uncle.

A surgeon with a wonderful sense of humour, he had just celebrated his ninety years by roasting each of the attendees at his birthday party, even though, it is said, he had to lie down and rest in-between addressing each table. He will be missed.




No change up or special decoration for the season yet in the sitting room. Just the space as is, still reverberating from childhood laughter and late night adult conversation, and harboring the cozy memory of huddling under a fuzzy afghan with three of my girls on the squishy sofa first thing in the morning.




And it just feels right somehow, photo or not, that a reading corner should always look like this. Ready for the next page or chapter.





The whole room always ready for a new story too, for that matter. Because I think that casual rooms receive guests best. 









But it's also the perfect little room for one. A great place for looking over the calender, (Seems like everything is already booked right up to Christmas!) answering mail, and planning the next step on the journey through a busy fall.





A spot of coffee, and a quick peek through a pretty magazine. . . . 





 It won't stay quiet for long. . . .




Feels like a Monday to me. . . .

 Thanks so much for your comments and messages. I will be getting back to you soon. I also hope you have noticed that the problem with my RSS feed has been worked out and that my posts are appearing in your email again! Thanks so much for your comments and caring about that.


Thanks so much for coming by!
I hope you have a great week waiting ahead!

Jacqueline




18 comments:

  1. Your reading corner looks much better than mine! I need to find something as charming as a marmalade jar for my pen, etc. Safe travels! Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqueline,
    Oh, dear one, how I enjoyed your Quiet Room post.
    All too often, our lives are a flurry of activity and we need gentle reminders to quiet ourselves.
    The Reading Nook spoke volumes to me!
    Celebration is indeed the proper train of thought when we must say goodbye to one whose life has been well lived down to the final moments. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers over the next few days, dear friend!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blood pressure always falls when I visit your beautiful blog.

    Glad you worked out your RSS feed, that's just never fun when that happens.

    Very sincere condolences at your loss of a fave uncle. May he rest in peace, and that you all have fond memories to take with you after this time is past.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a reading nook looks REAL...and this one does. A book or magazine ready to be picked up on a moment's notice to enjoy. Everything I see just screams (very quietly) SERENITY!

    Glad your feed got fixed. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pure serenity...my kind of reading room with layers upon layers of white, the sunlight dancing in, and books/magazines piled high in an old rustic basket.

    My reading room now had four white slipcovered chairs but I think I need to drape them with white linens as you have here. So cozy and welcoming.

    Your post has given just the quiet I needed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Bloglovin' suggested your blog to me after following Faded Charm & I'm so glad, because I absolutely love all your posts and vignettes.
    Thanks for sharing & love all the way from Spain,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this comfortable room. I have white throws/bedspreads similar to yours that I was going to put in a Garage Sale, after seeing this room, I will keep them. I also have sewing drawers, They look so much nicer white, I will paint mine. Your blog is an inspiration. Thel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very sorry about your uncle's passing. Your room looks very comfortable and a great spot to relax or read or entertain the grands. Blessings. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss...this beautiful space is perfect for quiet time with your memories.

    Oh...and I love that little marmalade jar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems you have described the circle of life with your Uncle's celebrated life and spending time with young dear ones in your cozy, lovely room. So sorry for your loss - keep well on your journey. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so very sorry for your loss, Jacqueline, and send you wishes for peace and healing. I suspect you will find both in these peaceful rooms you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had trouble with my RSS feed on my blog, too. Must have been a blogger thing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to have coffee with you in that room any time!

    The visitors sound like fun!

    Sorry about the Uncle!

    tot

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful room, Jacqueline, and such a lovely place to enjoy alone-time as well as time with dear ones.

    Sending hugs,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy your quiet home, it's so lovely
    thanks a lot for sharing
    bisous
    nélinha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jacqueline, Lovely peaceful and calm reading room. White just brings in the serenity.
    Enjoy the season.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. so very sorry for your loss, jacqueline. beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  18. just lovely. I haven't been here for a visit in a while, but your posts are always oases of calm and loveliness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!